making construction more sustainable
Actively managing environmental, carbon, health & safety and social impacts (from domestic to infrastructure projects) positively impacts how your company is perceived in the market
SUSTAINABILITY & CARBON OFFSETTING PROJECTS
Increase your points in the Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS) - invest in social impact projects
Carbon Footprint Ltd specialise in serving the construction sector, providing a full range of carbon, energy, Health & Safety services and also software tools:
We provide solutions, whether you are just starting out on your sustainability journey or you have a mature/leading edge programme in place.
PAS 2080 Carbon Management in Infrastructure is here
PAS 2080 is a new 'standard' developed within the construction industry that describes how carbon should measured & managed and reported throughout all project stages - including operational use. In our opinion, it provides a very useful process for a responsible construction businesses to follow across all projects.
Measure all project emissions - along the full value chain. Our Sustrax Carbon Tracking software is a cost effective way of doing this.
Include building materials - we provide full support to assess the embedded carbon emissions and environmental impacts of your materials - including support for Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) and Lifecycle Assessments assessments (including PAS2050).
Consider lifetime emissions and also end life - so-called 'capital carbon', 'operational carbon' and 'user carbon' needs consideration
Other legislation that may impact you
- Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting - If you are currently listed on the FTSE Main Market you must do this. We expect all large entities to be required to do this - an announcement is expected in Autumn 2016. Don't forget - this is UK Legislation and completely unaffected by the Brexit vote.
- Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Stage 2 - We expect this to stay in place for 2019. You can start audit work at any time between 1 Jan 2016 and 31 Dec 2019.
- ISO 50001 (Energy Management System) provides an alternative compliance route and is popular within the sector - get support
Not Legislation ... But strongly favoured for business management & PQQs
ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 - The 2015 standard is now here and you will need to make the transition before end 2018 - dependent on your recertification date! You can get the new standard ahead of your recertification date - and benefit from differentiation.
The process is straightforward and because these ISOs now share a common structure ( so-called 'Annex SL' - also shared by ISO 50001 and ISO 27001 (IT Security)) it will soon become very familiar and provides an ideal time and opportunity to integrate into an Integrated Management System (IMS).
Sustainability & Environmental Reporting
Leading construction businesses now produce a formal Sustainability or Environmental report - often to support/ complement their Annual Report & Accounts.
- You may be asked by your supply chain to complete one for the CDP (formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project) or you may voluntarily decide to submit your own.
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) provides a useful (and free!) format/template to complete Sustainability Reporting - it is well recognised and you can decide whether to make this public or use for internal management