Florestal Santa Maria Project (FSM-REDD Project)
Helping to Reduce Deforestation in the Amazonian Rainforest, Brazil
The project area is part of the Amazon, the largest remaining rainforest on our planet. The Amazon is known for its amazing biodiversity; containing 10% of all species. The rainforest is home to some endangered species that rely on it for their survival.
The FSM-REDD Project reduces greenhouse gas emissions by stopping deforestation. The project assures the continuation of ongoing activities for forest protection plus the following actions:
- Qualification of the local community to engage in the activities related to forest stewardship;
- Long-term protection of the project area and opposition to invasion by land grabbers;
- Improvement in local security through project monitoring and sharing of documentation;
- Organisation of forest fire brigades;
- Creation of incentives to recover degraded areas surrounding the property;
- Conduction of a feasibility study to set up a small plant for processing non-wood products and organising a technical forestry school in the municipality of Colniza.
In addition to regular monitoring by satellite images of the project area, there is a team stationed within the property, which conducts on-site surveillance of deforestation within and on the borders of the project area, to ensure the maintenance and preservation of the forest.
Social and Sustainability BenefitsThe project is contributing to sustainable development:
- Stimulate the creation of jobs linked to forest management
- Training in forest management
- Training of fire brigade teams
- New income opportunities for forest stewardship and in terms of sustainable exploitation of non-wood products, e.g. fruits and essences
- Supports critical biodiversity habitats
Protects Forests Protects Endangered Species Habitats Creating Jobs
Following a QAS approved carbon footprint calculation, this projects meets the requirements under the Quality Assurance Standard (QAS) for Carbon Offsetting. As part of this we are audited to ensure all offsets sold are retired on appropriate registries within 12 months of you purchasing.